Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Preparation is Key!

I woke up wanting pancakes. (Remember, I told you I love food!)
Fluffy, white pancakes drizzled with sticky, maple syrup. Years ago when I tried to go gluten-free, I made oat/buckwheat pancakes. Not bad....not too good either and for sure not the soft, steamy goodness that I woke up picturing.
With seven people in our house to feed, it is no small task to just whip up a batch of pancakes, never mind the challenge of turning gluten free pancakes into the equivalent of their evil, white-flour counterpart with no advance planning! Luckily, I have an awesome husband who is always willing to help cook.
If I had planned ahead, cough, cough :) it would have been easy as, well, pancakes. But who said easy was any fun, lol! I spent a bit of time cruising the 'net, looking for the perfect pancake recipe.
I have to take my hat off to the pioneers and front runners of the gluten-free lifestyle. There are some really great recipes out there, thank the Lord! Otherwise, I would still be sitting on the bar stool, scratching my head, wondering how best to go about making a go of pancakes that would not resemble hockey pucks when finished.
I am happy to say that I got my wish this morning-lovely, moist pancakes dripping with maple syrup, complete with bacon (thanks, my love!) and a hot cup of coffee. The recipe came from    http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/gluten-free-pancakes
It was easy, with no weird ingredients and had no advance prep time. They rose just like traditional pancakes and stayed soft and pliable even later in the day. This recipe will absolutely make it into my new-and-improved gluten free recipe collection!
Now, what do I want to eat in the morning.....;)

By the way, does anyone know a local place to buy fine ground rice flour in bulk? That seems to be the go-to grain if you want to replace white flour with similar results. We are in TN about mid-way of Nashville and Knoxville.

2 comments:

  1. An article in Mother Earth News gave some websites to buy grains, they are sunorganicfarm.com, greatrivermilling.com, edenfoods.com, Montanamilling.com and bobredmill.com - not sure how fresh and what not

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cori! I have a friend who does a BredBeckers order every so often too, and while I have a grain mill, I have not had much luck getting my rice flour nice and soft like what I buy at the store :(

    ReplyDelete